I’m listening right now to an interesting podcast episode on starting freelancing as a student. Some of their points:
- It’s good to see early whether freelancing is for you.
- As a student you have resources available to you that you won’t have after graduation.
- You can start small, and the consequences of failure are smaller than they’ll ever be.
- No one ever “feels” ready to start freelancing. That’s called “imposter syndrome,” and almost everyone feels it.
- Lots of jobs ask for experience; freelancing is an easy way to get experience.
They emphasize that you shouldn’t freelance at the expense of your performance in class (but have some ideas of how to make it work).